Monday, April 9, 2012

Birthday Car Cake

Hello again! Yes, I know...it has been a while. I've wanted to share many things during the last month, but was very busy. Really, I am not just saying it. There were many holidays and many reasons for me to bake, and I did....

In this post I want to show you something I made for my husband's birthday. It is a cake of course....and it is a blast from the past.

For those of you that don't know, "Moskvich" was a very popular Russian car in Bulgaria 20 or so years ago. There were many families who didn't own a car, and of those who did, most could only afford a Moskvich (there weren't many other choices anyway, and many, if not all, were cars from the Soviet Union). This should tell you that at that time, for a teenager to have a car to drive was a luxury. Hubby was one of those  privileged to drive his parent's Moskvich wherever and whenever he wants. At that time, 10+ yrs old, the car already needed frequent repairs. A trip to the Black Sea (some 350-400 kilometers) required special preparation (just to make sure you will get there). A popular feature of the Moskvich was its logo "AZLK", which translated in Bulgarian meant "Oh, why did I buy you?".

I will not deny that it was fun to drive in it. And not because it was comfortable, but because we had the freedom to go anywhere. Our group of friends was big and since my husband was the only one who had a car, you can only imagine how many people has this car seen and how many places it has been to. Only if the poor car could talk... No wonder why it was a favorite to many. It is worth mentioning that not only Valentin was exploiting it...his older brother learned how to drive using the Moskvich, then it was my husband's turn, and even I drove it when I was training. And let me tell you....you had to have special skills to be able to drive one of those...No hydraulics, "very sophisticated" brakes...one for which you needed some extra strength to push, otherwise you may not be able to stop. There were many other "features", but I wont go into that.

The car was slow, ok. In my opinion, it was designed for the elderly. However, my husband and his brother were so into cars and speeding, that the poor car was probably so sorry it ended up with this family. The two brothers were so wild that since there was nothing else to drive but the Moskvich, they were trying to make it drive like a Ferrari. It has been many times when they have raced with it, that it often felt like the pistons will fly out of from under the hood. May be because their dad didn't find out how his sons drove the car until later, and may be because if something went wrong, it was always fixed before dad came home, his family owned this car for more than 30 years. The cake brought so many memories back, so I let Valentin paint the Moskvich one more time...

Now about the cake...this was my first attempt to make a car, and it is obvious I would not make it into a collision shop! I was not happy with the result, but I know that some of you were waiting to see it, so I decided to share it anyway. Not to mention the picture quality... I hope you will bare with me until I get better. And lastly, please disregard the "support" underneath, I couldn't figure out how to make it stand on the tires only.



Thank you very much for checking my blog. I hope this brings good memories for some, and for those who are too young to know the old times, or have never had the privilege to ride in a Moskvich, I hope it is interesting to learn how I grew up (oops that shows how old I am).

Now let me go clean all that blue paint from everywhere in the house....:)

No comments:

Post a Comment