Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Winnie the Pooh Cake

As I had mentioned earlier, this turned out to be a busy month for me (baking), considering that I do it in my spare time. I have been baking pretty much every weekend and sometimes during the week also. However, it is a pleasure to put a smile on someone's face, not to mention sweeten their day too.

This past week a little boy for whom I made my first big cake turned one and based on some clues from the family, I came up with a design for a Winnie the Pooh cake (may be I can get away with showing this cake to my niece also).



My idea was to model the grown up boy Niki from fondant as a continuation of the theme from the baby shower cake and create a scene where he interacts with the characters from the movie (I always have bigger ideas than I can create).


First, it took me a lot longer than I thought it would to make the fondant figurines (with some being made twice), and then, fondant was just not sticking as I wanted it to. I ran out of time and couldn't finish the details that I wanted to put on the figurines, which of course changed some of my plans. My perfectionism was killing me at this point (this quality of mine doesn't always work in my favor), but I guess I got the idea across. I was pretty pleased with the way the colors turned out, and was lucky enough to  have my daughter help with adding color details and shades.















The cake consisted of vanilla layers with Raffaello filling. I usually read a number of recipes and at the end take several ideas to come up with a recipe that I think will taste delicious. People haven't told me that they hated any of the cakes I made, and I hope it is not because "it's a cake after all" type of thing...

This experiment turned out to be quite tasty. The filling was a creamy coconut filling, light and fluffy with almond and waffle crunch.

I have interesting ideas for the upcoming cake orders, I hope I can re-create them to look and taste as interesting as they are in my head.

Thank you for looking at my sweets!

No comments:

Post a Comment